Archives of Trauma Research

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2023  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 23--26

Investigation of the parameters affecting the functional results in conservatively followed distal radius fractures


Tamer Coskun1, Emre Kaya2, Oguzhan Gok3 
1 Department of Hand Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Maltepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
2 Department of Hand Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Maltepe University; Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Cakmak Erdem Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
3 Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sancaktepe Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey

Correspondence Address:
Tamer Coskun
Department of Hand Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Maltepe University, Marmara Egitim Köyü 34857 Maltepe/Istanbul
Turkey

Background and Objectives: Distal radius fractures are the most commonly treated fractures by orthopedic surgeons. We investigated the relationship between demographic and radiological parameters and functional outcomes in conservatively treated distal radius fractures. Methods: The study included 101 patients with displaced distal radius fractures who were treated conservatively. All fractures were grouped according to demographic (sex and age) and radiological parameters (Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen (AO) classification, accompanying ulna styloid fracture, radial inclination, radial height, volar tilt, and ulnar variance). The effects of these parameters on functional results were evaluated statistically. Mayo and QuickDASH scores were used for functional assessment. Results: Of 101 cases, 39 were male and 62 were female. The mean age of the patients was 50 (20–79). According to the AO classification, 82 (81.2%) were type A, 4 (4%) were type B, and 15 (14.9%) were type C. While 54 (53.5%) cases had ulna styloid fractures, the remaining 47 (46.5%) did not. The mean radial height of all cases was 11 mm, the radial inclination was 21°, and the volar tilt was 6°. The mean Mayo score of all cases was 80 and the QuickDASH score was 13.6. Conclusion: The functional outcomes of displaced distal radius fractures were not always correlated with radiological parameters. Malunion results were often nonsymptomatic, especially in elderly patients with AO types A and B. Care should be taken to ensure the reduction is complete in AO type C fractures in young male patients.


How to cite this article:
Coskun T, Kaya E, Gok O. Investigation of the parameters affecting the functional results in conservatively followed distal radius fractures.Arch Trauma Res 2023;12:23-26


How to cite this URL:
Coskun T, Kaya E, Gok O. Investigation of the parameters affecting the functional results in conservatively followed distal radius fractures. Arch Trauma Res [serial online] 2023 [cited 2024 Mar 5 ];12:23-26
Available from: https://www.archtrauma.com/article.asp?issn=2251-953X;year=2023;volume=12;issue=1;spage=23;epage=26;aulast=Coskun;type=0